Thursday, November 12, 2009

American Heritage Education Foundation



Yesterday in honor of Veterans Day, I had this quote up on my personal blog…

We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us. - George Orwell

Over the past 200years, men and women have given their lives for my freedom. It is a trite comment these days to say that, but think about it. Men fought in the Revolutionary War generations ago so that I have the right to go to the polls and decide who I want to represent me in my government. Men DIED so I could be free.

I don’t take that lightly. I and my family sleep safely in my bed, every night because there are men and women who’ve fought and died so I have that privilege.

I don’t mind telling you that it absolutely breaks my heart to see what is happening to this country that I love. We’ve somehow created a generation or two that are all about what can you do for me. What I deserve. They just want to do their own thing and let the government handle the rest. It makes me so sad. The forefathers would be heartbroken. Would those who fought and died for the freedoms I enjoy, regret it if they could see where we are today?

You may be wondering what this has to do with curriculum and homeschooling. Well, there is a foundation that feels the same way I do; The American Heritage Education Foundation. It is their theory that one of the reasons for the decline in our country is the fact that children are not being taught their history. They don’t know all that was sacrificed for their freedoms. This cannot stand!

They’ve created a curriculum that you can get for FREE from their site. It is a download that has units available from K – 12 and did I mention it’s FREE?

The following is a quote from the American Heritage Education Foundation’s website under their philosophy.

AHEF believes that the concepts and themes of our American heritage must be objectively studied and continually improved for today's students and citizens to understand, appreciate, and perpetuate the ongoing miracle of our unique republic of the people, by the people, and for the people.

I couldn’t agree more. I think this curriculum would make a wonderful stand alone curriculum, but would also dovetail nicely into almost any existing American History study.

You can read more about AHEF here, and as always, you can click on the icon below to see what others had to say about it.

Happy Homeschooling!


No comments: