Sunday, August 3, 2008

Flashmaster


This is quite possibly the coolest thing since sliced bread. It is a little computer that allows children to learn their math facts. It reminded me a little of the math version of the speak-and-spell from ye olden days, except way better.



It is basically the size of one of those really old calculators, (a bit smaller). It is very easy to use. Honestly it took me longer to figure out than my 9 year old. It is very self explanatory.

It is just the best way I can think of for children to learn their math facts. My kids don’t hate it. They hated calculadder, but we did it anyway because it worked. Flashmaster is so much better because it works and the kids don’t hate it, in fact some of them might even admit to liking it!

I have all three of my younger kids do 3 timed ‘lessons’ a day. Each lesson takes about 3 or 4 minutes. I could keep track of their time and amount correct if I wanted but I don’t bother.

I personally think it is worth every penny. It is an item that I can use for all my children as it has facts for + - X and ÷. The level of difficulty can be adjusted, you can have it add missed problems back in, you can have it timed or not, you can have it do the tables in order or randomly, these are just a few of its perks.

The only thing I wish it had is a way to set profiles so when my 9 year old gets on after her 14 year old brother used it, I don’t have to have her adjust it to her level, it would just know where she left off. But really it’s not that big of a deal, I just have the kids keep a record of what level they are on, then tell them when they get 90% accuracy 3 times in a row, they can move on to the next level.

You can go here to see what it does and here to see how to use it.

No comments: