Thursday, January 15, 2009

Spears Art Studio

I’m going to be honest with you. Art is not my thing. I can, if pressed, draw a stick figure, and occasionally, it can be recognized as such.

The problem is, my children seem to be be artistically inclined, especially one of my daughters. When I was given Spears Art Studio to try out, I was equal parts anticipation and trepidation.

At first I encountered some technical difficulty, the CD Rom in my laptop died. Not at all related to the Art curriculum, except it is the reason this review is later than it should be!

Once I got everything up and running, I loaded in the CD Rom and was amazed. I have to say I LOVE the way this is laid out. There is an overview page, a scope and sequence page, an introduction page and then the art lessons are broken down by month. Inside January’s folder, you will find separate pages for how to complete the project (one per week) based on the age of your student using the same materials. So you can be teaching the same art concept to a 1st grader, a 3rd grader, and an 8th grader, but the project they are actually working on will be age appropriate. Not to mention the step by step instructions and the suggestions for appropriate art for the students to look to for examples.

I am really not very eloquent in the vocabulary of the art programs, so I don’t feel this review is doing this program justice. It is an entire year’s art curriculum, for students from K – 8th grade. (There is also a High school program, but I have not seen that one). If you scroll about halfway down this page you can see some samples of the monthly modules.

Personally, I feel like this is a winner. The price ($35 for the CD Rom) cannot be beat. I encourage you to pop on over to Spears Art Studio’s website and check it out for yourself. You might really like this art curriculum, even if you can barely draw a stick figure, or perhaps I should say especially if you can barely draw a stick figure!

By the way, if you want to read what some others who are reviewing this product thought of it, you can go here to read about 100 more reviews.

No comments: