Saturday, October 31, 2009

Virginia Soaps and Scents



Being on the TOS Crew has many perks, mostly I get to try curriculum that I might not otherwise think to try. But every now and then, we get to try something non curriculum. Like Virginia Soaps and Scents! VSS sent us some homemade soaps, three to be exact, in Coconut Lemongrass, Fresh Orange, and Oatmeal, Milk and Honey scents. I loved them all, but the Fresh Orange was my favorite. I don't usually use soap, I like liquid soap better. I don't like the feel that is left on my skin from regular soap. I was pleasantly surprised that these soaps did not leave that sort of dry sticky feel. I thought I'd use them just enough to do the review then go back to my usually liquid soap, but I liked them so much I used them all up! I didn't even share with my girls.

We were also sent a Shampoo Bar. I had never heard of a shampoo bar before. I tried it for a week, but I just couldn't get it to work with my hair. I have heard of many of the others who like it alot. Honestly I think this depends on your hair type. I have thin, baby fine hair. It did not respond well to the shampoo bar. I left it kind of oily and heavy feeling. My hair is very temperamental and I only use one type of shampoo/conditioner and any time I try something new, I tend to end up with oily, lifeless hair.

The price on the Shampoo bar is $5.50 for a bar weighing 5.5 ounces or $10.00 for 2 bars. Honestly I wish this had worked on my hair, because it s so convenient and easy to travel with. It would have been GREAT for camping! I have stuck the rest of the bar in the RV to let the boys use.

The last thing we were sent was a laundry soap kit. I must admit here that I have not yet made the soap. I have been intrigued with the idea of making my own laundry soap for a while now. We have 6 people in this family and 5 of them are adult size. I do A LOT of laundry. My problem with this is that we live in a small house with a small kitchen and a small laundry area. The thought of making the big vat of laundry soap Duggar style, was just too overwhelming to me.

I like the idea of this kit because all the gathering work is done for me and it makes a manageable batch for me to work with in my kitchen and laundry area. Now for honesty...I've not done it yet. We've been passing around a cold here, (not the flu PTL!) and I've just not gotten to it. However, Kristen, on the Crew did it and she videoed it! Just watching her do it makes me feel like this is something I could do!

So next week, making the laundry soap is top of my list!

I know it seems a little odd to be reviewing soaps on a Homeschool Blog, but the family from VSS is a homeschooling family. Their account of how they came to be soap makers is heartwarming and I am all for supporting another homeschooling families business venture whenever I can.

You can go here to learn more about Virginia Soaps and Scents, read more about their family and find our their prices, and as always you can click on the icon below to see what others on The Crew had to say.

Happy Homeschooling!

No comments: