Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Critical Thinking Co.



I have, over the years, used many of the products put out by Critical Thinking Co. I have never met a CTC product I didn’t like, so when I heard I was going to get to review something from them I was thrilled.

When I received Balance Benders in the mail, I immediately opened it up and tried to do the first page. Um, huh? I didn’t get it. I sat down and tried again. Nope. Don’t get it.

I flipped to the front of the book. 2nd – 6th grade. Well. That’s comforting.
My girls (5th and 7th grades) came into the room. We all stared together. Huh?



Then in came my 9th grade boy. He is dyslexic and also struggles mightily in math, but is Mr. Fix it. He builds decks and carports etc, has his own lawn and tree trimming business. He’s a hands-on guy. He picked it up and in less than 30 seconds, without even reading the directions, did them all. Then flipped to the next page and did all of them, and then he laughed that we could not figure it out.



Once he explained it to us, we got it, but I must admit here. My brain does not work this way. I’m a language girl. These balance shape things put my brain in a tangle. But after working through it myself I can see its benefit. IT’s like exercising. I could see that each page got easier because my brain was stretched out for it!

I honestly think this is a great addition to a math program. It’s not ‘mathy’ so your child will probably like doing this math supplement! And for us non-mathy people, it’s probably a really good exercise!

And just in case you were wondering. As soon as my son explained the concept to my daughters they zipped through it too. I guess the saying about old dogs and new tricks is truer than I’d like to believe!

You can go here to find out more about Balance Benders (GREAT price). You can go here to find out more about Critical Thinking Co and you can click on the icon below to see what others had to say about the CTC products.

Happy Homeschooling!

No comments: