Wednesday, October 6, 2010

LanSchool

LanSchool is a way for me to keep up with what my kids are doing on the computer. In this day and age, computers are a blessing and a curse. We can do so much with them; we have so much available at our fingertips, as a homeschooler, computers have helped me immensely with educating my children. However, we also have access to all manner of garbage. Some of the things that can take up our computer time are simply vapid, and some are downright dangerous.

LanSchool allows me to check on what my children are doing (or have been doing) at the click of a button. I can see their screens on my computer, I can see their history, I can even see their keystrokes if I so choose.

I can also take over their screen and control it from my computer. This has come in very handy when I wanted to show them something. Or I needed to edit a paper. They could watch me do it from my computer on their screen. Way less printing and/or emailing papers back and forth.

I can also chat with my children on the computer. A little screen pops up if I need to tell them to remember to do the word problems on a page or something like that. They can also initiate a chat. This has worked SO well! For instance, my son will be in his room working on a paper. He might initiate a chat, show me his screen and ask me a better way to write a particular sentence. I can then take over his screen and fix it, or give him a few examples.

It is super cool!

At first my kids were none too happy to know that I would have access to everything in their computers (little did they know I already do!! I set up the computers and passwords, silly kids!) but now that we’ve been using it for a while they’ve seen the benefits. I like that they know at any minute I can view what they are viewing. So if they decide to pop on Facebook for a minute, I will know. It helps them be accountable.



I currently have three of our computers linked up. I am very, very happy with this product. It’s not just a ‘big brother’ type spying device; It has really been useful in our homeschool.

You can go here to see the pricing structure. (I am pleased with how they set this up. It seems very reasonable to me.) and you can go here to see what other people had to say about LanSchool.

Happy Homeschooling!

No comments: