Saturday, April 30, 2011

Hey, Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek!

I was sent Hey, Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek! to review for you, by the company Greek n Stuff.

I was a little nervous about this review; you know that phrase ‘It’s all Greek to me’? Yeah, that’s how I feel about foreign language. And this was actually GREEK! When I first opened the package I was surprised. It did not appear overwhelming. It was just a nonthreatening workbook with a companion full-text answer book, and a CD. The workbook is 180 pages all tolled. I flipped it open and saw this…



Okay, that looks easy!

I then opened the answer key work text and saw this…



It tells you exactly what to do when. This made me really happy. I mean, I’ve been homeschooling a long time. I can usually figure out how to schedule out a curriculum, but it’s GREEK! So I was super glad to see that I really could just open it up and follow the directions.

Before we jumped in I did spend a little time, maybe half an hour, reading over all the instructions and the first few lessons. I wanted to be as familiar as I could with the (GREEK!) curriculum before we started.

I then let the girls loose. They did the lessons and the flash cards, (which I had them cut out and make). The girls did very well and didn’t complain too much. They were not happy to see a new curriculum show up so late in the year, but once they got started they enjoyed it and learned quite a bit.

I really like that this curriculum teaches the Biblical Greek. In Level 3 on, there is copybook of the book of John that can be added. I love this idea. Any way I can make God’s Word more accessible and understandable to my children is a win in my book.

After doing a few lessons with my children, we decided to put the curriculum away for the summer. I’ve decided to buy a few more resources (the John copybook among them) and start over in the Fall. I want to go all the way through the book, and really dig in.

Greek N Stuff offers more than just Greek. They also have Latin, another frightening language to me. Perhaps when we’re done with Greek we’ll move on to their Latin's Not So Tough!

You can go here to learn more about what Greek n Stuff has to offer and their pricing, and you can go here to see what others on The Crew had to say about their various products.

Happy Homeschooling!

No comments: