Sunday, March 29, 2009

Beautifully Made


I was sent a set of books, entitled Beautifully Made, written by the founders of Generations of Virtue. It is a set of three books about a girls changing body. I so appreciated how this set of books was described on the website that I have copied and pasted it here. I don’t think I can improve upon this description…

Written by the founders of Generations of Virtue (various women and teenagers), this set of books is specifically designed to help guide girls and their mothers through the passage from girlhood to womanhood. These books focus on a girl's first period and what a beautiful and wonderful time that is. The message of this series is that women are blessed with God's gift to be able to give life. Our culture has made a women's period out to be a burden, but our desire was to write something that really celebrated the period and emphasized the positive aspects of womanhood--not the negatives. Both mother and daughter can go through the first two books together. These books are sensitively designed with young girls in mind: they only focus on a girl's body changes and do not go into boys and their changes.

These books are just that. They are not sensationalized or gimmickie, they are simple and yet very deep. I personally found them very helpful. I have two daughters who, despite my best efforts to find a way to freeze time, are growing up quickly. I am so very grateful to have these books sitting on my shelf waiting for the time when they will be needed.

The price for this set is 18.99. I think it’s worth every dime.

I was only sent this set of books from Generations of Virtue, but in doing my research for this review I found many other things on their website that I have my eye on, things specific for boys and girls. What a great resource Generations of Virtue is!

Happy Homeschooling!

No comments: