Thursday, August 27, 2009

Quarter Mile Math



I’m pretty sure I have mentioned on my blog my hate/hate relationship with math. Math and I are not friends. I am loathe to admit that it was the topic of math that almost caused me to miss out on this wonderful adventure that is homeschooling. I remember lamenting to my dear husband that there was no way on this earth I was going to be able to teach math to my children. He looked down at the 5 year old playing cars at my feet and assured me that I knew more math than a Kindergartner and that was all that was required at this moment. We’d worry about the future when it got here… what a wise guy! I did know how to teach Kindergarten math. Things got wonky when they started putting letters in with the numbers. But by that time I had been at this homeschooling game long enough to know there were many, many resources available to help me out.

One of those resources is Quarter Mile Math.

Quarter Mile Math is a software program that helps students learn math facts. The thing that makes QMM different than other programs is the fact that it quizzes the students not only on addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, but also all that icky stuff after that (you know, the parts with the letters) you can go here to see a list of all the tops covered, but let me throw a few out there like fractions and decimals and percents and integers and on and on and on…

It covers topics all the way from K through 9th grade.

I also like the way it works. Basically, you’re racing a car or a horse depending on your preference. You are racing the computer the first five times and after that you’re racing your own best time! I really like that the students can see themselves getting better and better and better!

There are many other benefits to this program like the fact that all the records are stored for you and can be printed off if you live in one of those grumpy states that requires all that record keeping.

Also there are tournaments you can do with several members of your family, so this is nice for larger families. We have not yet used this feature, but I know once I get this feature up and running the competitive nature of my children will jump out and they will really enjoy this part.

Also, the prices of QMM are excellent. If you’re curious, I would highly recommend trying it out since it will only cost you less than $3.00 for one month. You can’t beat that!

Here are the prices…

• $2.95 per family per month
• $19.95 per family for one year (save $15.45 over one year)
• $34.95 per family for two years (save $35.85 over two years)

Right now they are running a promo, if you use the Referral Code 7K7Y7, you'll get $5 off any product--Standard or Deluxe.

You can click on the photo below to read what other Crew Members had to say...




Happy Homeschooling!

No comments: