Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Hank the Cowdog



I was thrilled this year to see that Hank the Cowdog was on the list of vendors. Hank the Cowdog books were some of the first chapter books on tape that we tried when my boys were little. It really turned them onto books on tape. And being that I ended up with two dyslexic children, books on tape have really been a life saver!
I was sent three things from Maverick Books; (The Hank the Cowdog Publisher) the book The Case of the One-Eyed Killer Stud Horse, a game called Tornado, and Tales and Tunes from Hank the Cowdog

Now is where I have to admit to you that I never actually got a chance to do much more than glance at the products before they disappeared into the bowels of the house (aka, the children’s rooms). I was able to hear the CD playing from the girls’ room…and the silly songs being sung over and over and over and over, by my girls. I am not sure this is a good thing because shortly after they got all these silly songs stuck in their heads we all piled in the car for a 15 hour car trip…



The book had been previously read by my children, but it did get read again. In fact, when I asked the kids what they did with it after they read it, they said their cousins had it because they wanted to read it too!



And the game? Well, that was a huge hit. It’s a simple game, much like Trouble or Sorry, but the best thing about it??? Its size! It’s a TRAVEL GAME! I love those. We stuck it in our RV and took it with us on our two week CO trip. My daughters and their cousins had a blast playing this game. And with all the rain they had it CO during that two weeks, we adults were also ever-so happy to have it!

Personally, I love the Hank the Cowdog stories. They are cute, and just silly enough that kids love them. Hank thinks he’s big stuff but he often bumbles around and mixes up his speech in a way that children love.

His language is an issue for some as he does use ‘Ranch Talk’ like stupid, dumb, gosh and the like. My children were able to distinguish what was okay for them to say and what was not and that was never really an issue for us, but it’s something to be aware of.

I highly recommend Hank the Cowdog stuff, the books are great, but, I HIGHLY recommend the audio books. They are so well done and highly dramatized that my boys would sit for hours coloring and drawing and laughing their heads off listing to these books on tape.

You can go here to see the prices and find out more about Hank the Cowdog stuff, and you can click on the photo below to find out what others of the TOS Crew had to thing about Hank.




Happy Homeschooling!

No comments: